Tuesday, October 27, 2009

SMA do you know what this is?

Spinal Muscular Atrophy and Cassandra Byrd's twins, Kyle and Lauren, were born with SMA Type 2.

I met Cass back in 2007 during the latter part of my pregnancy. I joined the June/July 2007 mulitples pregnancy board on the old babycenter.com and that is where I met her.

She doesn't know it but she is my idol! LOL Cass, had trouble baking her first baby, Jenna, and delivered early. Well, the twins taxed her body, she wound up in the hospital, on bed rest and worse of all on Mag........MAG is AWFUL. She will certainly attest to that.

I had my own rounds with preterm labor beginning in April/May 2007 and got repeated shots of Terb. Nothing at all like Mag but I hated the damnable shots just the same. Anyways, Cass beat me. She delivered a couple days sooner than I did BUT she carried Kyle and Lauren LONGER than I did and LONGER than she carried Jenna too. She was even able to nurse her twins (for a LONG TIME........I am secretly green with envy!).

See, I was hit with a medical diagnosis for Joseph straight out the gate. We learned within hours of his birth that he was hypotonic (low muscle tone) which comes with Down syndrome. Cass and her husband, Chris, learned one year ago TODAY the twins had SMA. This is part of their story, won't you read it and check it and drop some money their way to put and END to SMA?

Click on this link and it will take you to Cass' blog..........BahamasBahamasBahamas. What a mantra!


Til next time...........love your babies and count your blessings.

No comments: